Download Classic Driver Education Accidents & Crashes Films DVD: Defensive
STATE TRAFFIC SCHOOL CANCELLATIONS
Call (502) 564-1257 for an up-to-date list of class cancellations!
You must have received your enrollment letter from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet BEFORE you enroll in the on-line course.
Completion of the DVD or internet course WILL NOT fulfill your obligations toward the required Graduated Licensing class
The Division of Driver Licensing now offers three approved options for completing the State Traffic School Program:
The Primary Purpose of State Traffic School is to Promote Safe and Responsible Driving
The goal of State Traffic School is to provide an educational program which renews a driver’s outlook regarding traffic safety and to instill a positive attitude toward highway and traffic safety by encouraging an understanding and recognition of personal driving behaviors which will result in a reduced number of deaths and injuries related to vehicular crashes and moving hazardous violations.
State Traffic School classes are conducted at various locations throughout the Commonwealth. Classes are 4 hours long.
Benefits of Attending State Traffic School
- Drivers receive information on KY traffic laws.
- Information is provided to assist drivers in improving both personal driving habits and defensive driving techniques.
- No points assessed for the traffic violation for which you are attending State Traffic School. View KY Points System.
- Satisfy out-of-state citations, when applicable.
Topics Covered in State Traffic School
- Traffic laws in KY
- Driver licensing in KY
- KY driver point system
- Driving behavior
- Highway safety facts
- Traffic crash causation
- Defensive and perceptive driving
- Driving under the influence
- Occupant protection and pedestrian safety
State Traffic School Eligibility
- A driver cannot be under suspension.
- A driver cannot attend State Traffic School for a conviction carrying mandatory license suspension. A driver can only attend on minor traffic violations.
- A driver can only complete State Traffic School once within a twelve-month period.
- Non-licensed drivers are not eligible to attend State Traffic School.
- All State Traffic School referrals must come from the District court where the violation occurred.
Process for State Traffic School
- The District Court where the citation was received must refer a driver to State Traffic School. The District Court will send the referral to the Division of Driver Licensing.
- The Division of Driver Licensing will mail a letter to you to the address on your license. Follow these instructions carefully to enroll in the class.
- Once referred to Traffic School, it becomes a court order. If you do not comply with Traffic School it will result in a license suspension until the class is completed.
NOTE: Make sure your address is correct on your license. Many people that are referred to State Traffic School get suspended because their address is incorrect on the license. It is a state law that any change of address must be made on the driver’s license within 10 days.
Can State Traffic School be Rescheduled?
- Rescheduling Traffic School is discouraged, however if it is an emergency rescheduling will be taken in consideration.
- Reschedule requests can be made from the DDLwebservices. Please be sure to include your name, address, driver license number, and reason for your reschedule request.
How will State Traffic School appear on my Driving Record?
- Attendance at State Traffic School does not reflect on a driver’s three year driving record. State Traffic School attendance does appear on a driver’s five - year driver’s record that is used by law enforcement, courts and government agencies.
If you have any questions, please call Division of Driver Licensing at (502) 564-1257. A person with a hearing impairment may call Kentucky Relay at 711.
State Traffic School for CDL/CMV Drivers
All moving convictions must be posted to the driving record if the driver is a CDL holder or the conviction occurred in a CMV. State Traffic School will prevent points from being assessed but will not prevent the conviction from appearing on the record.
Questions for out of State Drivers
I am an out of state driver who received a speeding ticket in Kentucky, am I eligible for State Traffic School?
The court can refer you to State Traffic School, however the citation will go to the state in which you are licensed. If you have a CDL, this still applies.
If the court refers me to State Traffic School do I still need to comply with Kentucky?
The ticket must be paid in the county in which you received the citation. Once that is paid, the ticket will be sent to the state in which you are licensed, along with a letter stating that you requested State Traffic School. That state's procedures for processing out of state tickets will determine if you can go to State Traffic School for the Kentucky citation. Once the citation is paid in Kentucky, it is up to your home state as to whether or not to refer you to State Traffic School in lieu of the points.
If my home state doesn't process requests for State Traffic School from Kentucky, what should I do?